With all these great restaurants and food options around it’s possible to control our eating habits nowadays. I mean fried chicken vs. baked chicken can sometimes be a really tough decision since fried is crispy and crunchy and baked is…. well, it’s baked! Lol!
But there are many ways to incorporate a healthy meal into your regular diet and at the same time making your taste buds happy.
I was home one day after coming back from my regular grocery shopping date, and needed to start working on a dinner plan for my darling husband and me.
And you know the feeling when you buy a new utensil and you just want to use it for whatever it may be. I had recently bought a really nice wooden salad bowl from good old IKEA (love IKEA) and wanted to toss up a salad.
So I came up with this awesome salad mix, which tasted so good since the ingredients go really well together. I even did my own dressing and threw in some fresh homemade croutons (super crispy).
Hope you like it!
Ingredients for Salad:
- Half a can of corn niblets -170 gr
- Can of kidney beans – half or full up to you I usually eyeball it
- Red peppers – ½ cup medium diced
- Green Peppers – ½ cup medium diced
- Yellow Peppers – ½ cup medium diced
- 2 small cucumbers – ½ cup medium diced
- 1 ripe Avocado – usually the ones from Uganda are really nice – medium diced
- 1 ripe Mango – Alphonso or any nice sweet and chunky type – medium diced
- 1 whole pomegranate – seeds should be nice and red, Indian pomegranates are the ones I use
- 100 g Feta Cheese – Medium sized cubed (low sodium) – optional ingredient
- Pumpkin seeds – ¼ cup
- Sunflower seeds – peeled – ¼ cup
- Dry Cranberries – ¼ cup
Ingredients for Dressing:
- Pomegranate juice – 6 tbsp (fresh or bottled your choice, I use bottled usually)
- Apple cider vinegar – ½ tbsp
- Balsamic vinegar – ½ tbsp
- Lemon juice – ½ tbsp
- Extra Virgin Olive oil – 4 tbsp (the best quality possible)
- White vinegar – ½ tbsp
- Honey -1 tbsp
- Sugar – 1tsp
- Salt and pepper – to taste
All the ingredients can be mixed together in any order. Add as much dressing as you prefer. Keep some of your avocado, mango and the pomegranate seeds for a beautiful garnish on top!
Please share your experience and tag us on instagram!